Thursday, February 18, 2010

Appreciation

It is better to bring a cheap bouquet to a living friend this very day, than a bushel of roses, white and red, to lie on his casket when he's dead. I read that and thought I would share it with my friends. It's called appreciation as we are told in

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, (Don't say anything that would hurt another person) but that which is good to the use of edifying, (building up others) that it may minister grace(give help wherever it is needed) unto the hearers
. We all need that you know. God says the only words you and I ought to be speaking to people are those that will build them up. Giving to those people around you encouragement, give them compliments and thank you's, and affirmations - the kind of things we usually say at their funeral. I remember when my dad died and I stood by that casket - and some wonderful, wonderful things were said about him. All these people had wonderful praise for the kind of man that my dad had been - unfortunately my dad couldn't hear any of them. Don't miss understand me I really do appreciate the kind words that were said but I do hope they told him. On yesterday morning I received a call from a man out of state that has been working the Reformers Unanimous Addiction program; his call was brief but his words were granitic to me the hearer. This is what he said "just called you this morning to tell you I love you and say thank you." I was for a moment speechless for I had done very little, it was all the work of God in this man's life. We talked briefly as he told me all that God was doing in his life and how that God had sent people to help in the area's he needed help in. All I can say is "isn't God Good!" You, like me, probably don't hear many words of appreciation most of the time we hear you could have done better than that, what were you thinking, have you lost your mind, that was about the dumbest thing I have ever heard you say, you should take better care of yourself have you looked in the mirror lately, and on and on its an endless list of our failures a steady diet of what we need to improve and where. I have spoken with, I can't count how many that have told me no matter how hard I tried or how hard I worked I can never remember my dad praising me for anything I ever did. May I say that's sad! I remember working for a company many years ago; we had a company meeting every third Friday of each month; no excuses just be there. On this one Friday I received some advice that I have never forgotten. We were told to always look for something we could praise the customer for or about; he said look, for there is something no matter how sour their personality is or how crazy their ideas are there is something there you can praise them for or about look for it and find it. That works well in business but isn't that what God has told us to do that for each other?

Ephesians 4:31
Let(Get rid of) all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, (tumult or grief) and evil speaking, (loud quarreling, cursing) be put away from you, with all malice: (trouble, evil, naughtiness, wickedness)

Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, (sympathetic) forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Could you change the attitude of that employee with some appreciation or maybe your boss with some appreciation. I know what others may call it but God said we should do it so who do you want to please? I can only answer for myself and the "Answer is….MY HEAVENLY FATHER! What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment