Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thomas

The siren blared at 6 a.m.at the Orange City Wal-Mart in Florida announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale. There are a mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players. The first woman in line had her eye on a $29.00 DVD player when she was pushed down, and knocked unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves and then walked over her like a herd of elephants. These shoppers were not browsing they knew what they were after and nothing was going to stop them from being first. They didn't care if someone fell just as long as they were the first to get the bargains. It can be quit dangerous out there on the Friday after Thanksgiving; that's why I stay home. One person may think they have bagged their prized possession only to find another is willing to tackle them and take it away for themselves. That doesn't mean they have it either for they may lose it before they get home with it. Fights over dolls, DVDs, computers, games and who knows what. No one wants to lose that opportunity, it was put there for them and no-body and I do mean no-body is going to stand in their way of getting it; why they have been standing outside those doors for hours waiting for the moment for them to open. You know opportunities come and go. Some we get others we miss and we can all give an account to that.
John 20:19
Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
This was Sunday night when Jesus paid His disciples a visit and gave them a word of peace. I can only envision what or how those disciples felt that night. Here they were behind shut doors with fear gripping their hearts because of the Jews and in the middle of their fear here stands Jesus. When they saw Him peace flooded their souls; what a night that must have been I would have hated to have missed that opportunity. But wait! Thomas one of the twelve; for whatever reason was not there with all the other disciples; wonder where he was? Maybe he was just too tired, for the stress was so great, maybe he just needed the time to get things in order so he would be ready for the next day; for it was going to be long too. I don't know why he wasn't there or where he was, I just know he wasn't with the rest of the disciples.
John 20:24
But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
Therefore he missed out. What did he miss? He missed seeing Jesus and he missed being glad on a sad day.
John 20:20
And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

Many don't go to Church at all and you know what? They like Thomas miss out; it's a missed opportunity for them! Others miss the Sunday Night service they convince themselves they got what they needed in the Morning service and they need to get to bed early so they will be rested for the upcoming week; they like Thomas just missed another opportunity. Thomas missed out that's for sure but there's more; he had to wait another week before he had the opportunity again. Yes, he was able to hear all about it and sure he was able to see the excitement, joy and peace in all the other disciples. It is one thing to hear, it's all together another thing to be there. I am not sure that he believed all he heard; what do you think?
John 20:25
The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Thomas is going to get that opportunity; let's see what he will do with it.
John 20:27
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
Here ye go Thomas put your finger in my hand and put your hand in my side for I don't want you to be faithless.
John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. John 20:29
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
You know I have never had the
opportunity that Thomas had and missed; for I have never seen the Lord with my eyes. But I have felt His presence and read His word and spent time with Him in prayer. I like Thomas have missed a Sunday night service for whatever reason and missed the opportunity; it was there, but I wasn't! Oh I heard about it later as the talk buzzed around, but I wasn't there; I could have been but I wasn't. A missed opportunity that can never be relived its gone forever just because I wanted to be a Thomas. Have you ever been a Thomas? Then you know what it's like to have missed a golden opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment