Friday, February 5, 2010

Swim Back

Some years ago I and my family had gone to Fort Walton Beach on vacation and on this vacation I got a hold of some snorkel equipment and started out viewing all that was going on under the water. I was seeing all kinds of things fish, crabs running along the bottom and things people had just thrown into the water. I was so involved with what I was viewing that I had not realized that I was drifting out to sea. Then all of a sudden without warning I was sweep out by an under currant. I pop my head up and I was too far out and I began swimming back to shore. I did many things wrong I was all by myself and not only that, I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going or what I was headed for and if I had not been caught in that under current who knows where or what would have happened to me. But you know that happens in our Christian life too; for it’s easy to drift. The Apostle Paul says that we need to examine ourselves 2Cotinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
That’s a good thing to do from time to time for we are capable of drifting, so we need to test ourselves on a regular basic. Examine your Bible reading and ask yourself, am I reading less than I use to? Too many times we get in a hurry and if that happens regularly we can find ourselves saying I’ll just put it off until tomorrow but then we notice that one day turns into 2 and then it’s a month and then it months. Hey you drifted! Examine your prayer life, are you praying the way you use to? Or has it turned into a quick word on the way to work or while taking a shower or when there is a close call or urgent need. You use to kneel and pour your heart out to God but now you just haven’t the time for that anymore. Hey you drifted! Examine your Church attendance and your giving have you noticed that spiritual things just don’t seem that important anymore; I know your Pastor just isn’t feeding you like he use to and you have noticed those where you attend church are not as friendly as they use to be and maybe it is time for a change. The problem is not with the Pastor or the People as hard and as unbelievable as it may sound it’s that person who looks back at you when you look into the mirror and you know why? Because you have drifted! Drifting is dangerous because it’s a lack of direction Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed(pay closer attention) to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. (drift) It’s easy to drift, because drifting takes no effort. Pop your head up and swim back to safety because if you keep drifting #1- Conscience will become numb. #2- You will shrink away from Spiritual things. #3- You will lose your ability to hear the Shepherd. Don’t become drowsy in your Christian life because when that happens you are no longer on guard or cautious about what’s going on around you and you are headed for shipwreck. Had I not came to my senses that day when I was snorkeling; well let me just say it this way you might not be reading this now. Get in the Book and don’t forget to pray and for sure get in Church this Sunday and you’ll have a Great weekend. It’s has been a great week hasn’t it? If you think not then review it over in your mind for you are spending too much time on the negatives. See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment