Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Violinist

Has anything happened in your life that changed you? I mean really changed you! There have been some things in my life that have. I am not sure of the year maybe 1974 or 75 I'm not sure and the names and the places in the story I don't remember, but the story is clear. Maze Jackson was preaching at Eastside Baptist Church where Dr Guy Rainwater was pastor and I went to hear him; I went by myself. I could have stayed home and had I, I would have missed one the biggest blessings in my life. I don't remember what Brother Maze was preaching or what book of the Bible but he gave an illustration that God used to impact my life. He told a story of a young boy who went one day to view in the window of a master violinist who was well known. As the young boy was listening to him play the violin he was caught and brought before the violinist who asked him what he was doing peeking in his window. The young boy then said that he wanted to play the violin and was hoping he would teach him. The man told him that he would never stick with it and he refused to waste his time. The boy then said no he really wanted to play. The violinist then said ok I'll teach you but you must be here every day to learn and that means no baseball, football or anything, everyday; summers when you are out of school, winters when it is cold; everyday do you understand? If you miss I am finished teaching you. The young boy agreed and never missed a day and became a prodigy. In his early twenty's he was so good that he was asked to play where there would be many important people. That night as that young man walked upon the stage he looked over the audience as he did he noticed that sitting up in the far corner was his teacher the famous violinist? As the young man began to play he played so well that he received a standing ovation more than once but his eyes were on his teacher who kept his seat. The young man kept playing and again he received a standing ovation and this time when all were seated his teacher stood and began to clap and then and only then did the young man smile for he had pleased his teacher. I don't know what happened that night but when I left that Church I would never be the same. God so touched my life that I wanted more than ever to have the Master pleased with what He had called me to do. I made up my mind that I would read His word everyday and let Him speak to me and teach me what He wanted me to know. That has been over 30 years now and early before the sun has time to rise I get alone with the God of this great place we live earth. I can still hear Brother Maze Jackson in the back of my mind and it really doesn't matter to me if anyone is ever pleased with what I do as long as the Lord is, for one day I want to hear the words

Matthew 25:21
His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
The Christian life should be more to you and I than just knowing we are going to heaven when we die and the reason being that one day we shall all stand before the God of this universe and we will all have to give an account for the life that we have lived here and I; as I hope you do want to do it with joy and not shame.

Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? Or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

1Corinthians 3:13
Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

1Corinthians 3:14
If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1Corinthians 3:15
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Do you want to do enough to get by or do you really want to please the Lord? Rewards or Suffer loss which do you want? Which will you receive?

No comments:

Post a Comment