Thursday, December 16, 2010

Get Still

Advertisers plead with us to purchase “security” for our futures. Investors encourage us to plan for our retirement and our children’s education. Every day, thousands of hardworking employees are “downsized” which is another way of saying let go. Downsizing results in chaos, instability and loss of confidence. How then are we to experience serenity when our world seems out of control?
Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: Too many times we attempt to orchestrate our lives in such a way that there is no room for God to interrupt with His own plans. My Dad worked for the railroad for 43 years and many times when I was a young boy he would take me with him on different trips. I loved it! We might be in the baggage car with the doors open and the scenery flying by; or I might find myself in a passenger car sitting looking out the window; or in a sleeper car. I can remember sitting in the diner car eating ice cream, man was it fun to go to work with him. My younger brother works for the railroad today; my Dad helped him get on with them. I wanted to work for the railroad too but it was not to be. I went to apply with my brother-n-law; he got a job and I didn’t. I was crushed and so depressed for I really wanted that job but God didn’t let me orchestrate my life the way I wanted it for He had different plans for me. All I could see was the present but God saw the future, had I followed my plans I would have missed His. Today I am happy that God knew best for my life; sometimes we just have to get still so we might hear and know that He is God, the one that knows best. Stop for a moment today turn the radio off and all the junk that might be going on in the background. Just get alone, be still, listen and see if you don’t hear a small still voice. Elijah did
1Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
1Kings 19:13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? You might just hear the Lord speaking to you, but to do so you are going to have to get still. How about today slow down, get alone and get still and see what happens; God may have different plans for your life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all you do for us, spiritually and physically.

    ReplyDelete