Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Small Heart

Back in 1957 Dr. Seuss wrote a story about “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” You see the Grinch suffered from having a small heart. The source of his heart problem is his lack of understanding the meaning of Christmas. The Grinch tries to put a stop to Christmas, but in the end he comes to understand what Christmas is all about and his heart grows three sizes. As I thought about that I was reminded of those who can’t wait for Christmas to be over. All the hustle and bustle, the running here and there, the money that is being spent, the dinners they will have to attend and the people that will be forced to spend time with. You have heard them I am sure; I can’t wait for all this Christmas stuff to be over; you know the old hum bug type. I think they have a heart problem; no I am not talking about having heart surgery just a big heart. You see they have a small heart and don’t understand Christmas at all, they think it’s about spending money, eating food and spending time with those they don’t like. But for those of us who understand what Christmas is about; the birth of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, who was born to save His people
Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. When the light of the Good News of Jesus dawns upon the heart then God replaces old heart of stone with a brand new one which is three times as big as the one before. How big is your heart at Christmas time big or small? Giving or Keeping? Loving or Hating? In a hurry for it to be all over with or one that is excited about all the Christmas season means and brings into your life. I tell you I am excited about all our children coming and bringing those grand kids. We will spend some time together as a family, laugh and smile and just love on one another for a couple of hours and that’s just Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day we will all meet back together at my wives parents and that’s when it gets crowded! My wife has 2-brothers and 2-sisters and they all have families. I love being around all of them. I have been doing it for 40 years and I am excited about this Christmas and looking forward to all that will take place. But there is a time I love most it just before the presents are opened I take the opportunity to talk about Christmas and what it means. It’s far more than a new bike or a new anything. It is a night to be remembered for on that night long ago when Jesus slipped into this world as a baby and only a few knew who He really was. Christmas of 2010 is almost upon us and I wonder how big your heart is?

1 comment:

  1. So true! i remember how each Christmas is a time to be thankful for what we do have---God's Love, so much better than any other gift!

    ReplyDelete