Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rules

Rule; Merriam-Webster tells us this about “rule” a prescribed guide for conduct or action. Rules are in everything we do, where you work there are rules, in our home, on the roads where we drive our cars. Rules, rules, rules; my dad had rules set in our home. One of his rules were to be home by 11:30pm on Friday and Saturday night no excuses would be excepted, no 3-strikes and you are out. The rule was be home before 11:30 but not later and if you walk through the door at 11:31 you were late. Rules, rules I know what I will do I will get away from his rules and I did only to find that the military had rules too. I would have been better off to have stayed home with Dad’s rules. Rules are not to hurt us but to help us. I want to look at 4-rules found in the book of Proverbs chapter 24. The first rule is a rule for life.

A Rule for Life- Proverbs 24:1 Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them.
Proverbs 24:2 For their heart studieth destruction, and their lips talk of mischief.
Stay away from evil men! Do not allow them to become your companions!

A Rule for Thinking Proverbs 24:9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men. Tells us what to think or what not to think!

A Rule for not Quitting Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
I love this verse because too many quit when they fall or fail. I always say “what do you have to do to fall 7-times? Get up 6-times.” Anyone can quit but we should not be quitters; get up and get back in. I was raised around horses and my Dad would go to the horse sale and he would come home sometimes with some real losers of horses. He would put me and my brother on them and many times they would throw us off but he would never let us walk away after being thrown. He would say get back on or he will throw you the next time. What my Dad was teaching me and my brother was don’t quit get back up. I believe that is what this verse is teaching us; anybody can quit don’t be a quitter. Don't quit!" Keep on getting back up, be persistent, be strong for the Lord! Do not be easily stopped! Is that not a good "rule”?

A Rule for Telling the Truth Proverbs 24:28 Be not a witness against thy neighbour without cause; and deceive not with thy lips. Just tell the truth, always! For lies are hard to remember.

1 comment:

  1. So true! Too many times we are tempted to quit. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete