Thursday, April 14, 2011

Best Gift Ever

Back in the early 60’s a man came driving down the street my aunt lived on. He lost control of his car knocking over mailboxes as he continued down the street. His car finally stopped in the middle of a neighbor’s yard across the street from my aunt’s home. The driver was out of his car by the time the police arrived walking around as he told them he was not driving the car; my aunt said you sure weren't. He like so many don’t want to take responsibility for their actions. It wasn’t my fault…then whose was it? Was it this man’s fault or was it the alcohol this man had been drinking? That’s what Adam said “it’s not my fault it’s your fault God for you are the one who gave me this woman".
Genesis 3:12  And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
So we have passed on the blame ever since then. Many times we don’t realize that we have done wrong. The apostle Paul put it this way
Romans 7:7  What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Paul said that he would not have known that lust was sin had it not been for the law.
Exodus 20:17  Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet (to desire that which it is unlawful to obtain or possess)thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Maybe the driver of that car that night had never read that it would be breaking the law to drink and drive a motor operated vehicle. That was possible but the law doesn’t care if you know it or not for ignorance of the law is no excuse.  The only hope that man would have is that the Judge he stood before would have mercy on him for he was without doubt guilty. The same with you and I; the only hope we have is for God to show us mercy because of His Son Jesus Christ who has already paid the price which the law requires and that price is death. 
Romans 6:23  For the wages of sin is deathThe next part of that verse is where we see God’s mercy but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
A gift is something we receive; we don’t work for it, we don’t pay for it. Let me explain let’s say I was to give you my watch which was a very expensive one. I said “I want to give it to you as a gift; you reach out and receive it then it becomes yours; that’s a gift. Now let's say I give you that same watch and tell you that it was a gift and say all I want you to do is cut my grass once a year. It is no longer a gift for them you have to do something to get it.  All one has to do to have eternal life is receive Jesus Christ. Best Gift Ever, bar none!

No comments:

Post a Comment