Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How Much Further

 In 1988 a man wrote a book entitled 88 reasons why Jesus would return in 1988. Well it’s been 23 years and Jesus hasn’t returned yet; but I assure you He will; we just don’t know the day nor the hour. When my children were young they would always ask a question when we were on a trip “how much farther.” It didn’t matter what we told them for they would ask the same question every few miles. You and I live in a day when the Lord may come but have you ever thought that today we are closer than we have ever been to our end. Have you asked yourself ‘how much further?” That, we just don’t know but there is one thing we can know; Jesus said
Matthew 24:3  And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 
Matthew 24:4  And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Matthew 24:5  For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Matthew 24:36  But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Just as my children sat in the back seat not knowing when we would arrive; I as the Dad and driver didn’t really know either but I did have a better understanding than my children. There are two things I’m not sure of #1-when Jesus will return or #2- when I will depart this earth.  There are something’s though that I’m sure of #1- eternal life and I have it 
John 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 
#2- I’m confident of being present with the Lord 
2Corinthians  5:8  We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. #3- my sins are forgiven 
1John 2:12  I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. “For his name’s sake?” Not for ours but HIS. In the Old Testament we read this
 Psalms 106:6  We have sinned with our fathers, we have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly.
Psalms 106:7  Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt; they remembered not the multitude of thy mercies; but provoked him at the sea, even at the Red sea.
Psalms 106:8  Nevertheless he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known.
Here are a group of people like you and I, they had sinned like their fathers before them and done wickedly.  I see God mercies saving a people who didn’t deserve it and He did it for His name sake that his mighty power might be made known. God didn’t save you and I because of our good looks or our great abilities or our talents but He saved us that He might be made known, so others will hear and come to know Him also. For it’s not Gods will that any should perish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment