Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Dash

Life is short. How short? As short as a dash! Do what, you may ask. Every time I go a cemetery I am reminded of just how short life is. Have you ever noticed what is on the grave markers? It will give the name of who is buried, when they were born and maybe something about their life. My Dads reads like this John H. Sosebee Born September 10, 1921 – Died December 27, 1986 there is a train that indicates that he worked for the Railroad and then 43 years which tells everyone who sees it what his occupation was and how long he worked for them. The thing that catches my eye is that dash which tells me life is short. I read of two family members who were best of friends, then one day one reminded the other of something that had happened 30 years early. One thing leads to another and they haven't spoken to each other since. Each believes that it was the other ones fault and neither will forgive. What a shame, life is just too short not to forgive. I was 18 years old when I left home. I thought if I was ever going to see the world I had to get out from under my Mom and Dad's care; or as the way I looked at it prison. The year was 1968 and without any advice from my parents I Joined the USAF and three weeks later I was gone. May I say that was not the smartest thing I ever did. Then I married without telling my parents. I was home on leave and met this fine looking young girl and in a week we were married. I could go on and on but here is what I want to say. Three months before my dad died I took the time to ask him to forgive me of my actions from when I was young and didn't realize how brilliant he was. You see forgiveness is the key that unlocks the handcuffs of hate. Now I didn't hate my dad and he had forgiven me long ago. But I wanted him to know that there was nothing in my heart but love for him and that he was and still is my hero. Three months later on December 27, 1986 a Saturday night around 9:30 or 10:00 PM when I said good bye, I love you, talk to you tomorrow little did I know that would be the last time I would hear his voice. Somewhere after 11:00 he took his last breath and was gone. That person that you think and may have very well done you wrong; why don't you take the first step and mend that relationship. No it will not change the past but it will enlarge the future. Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

1John 2:12
I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
When I read those verses I am reminded that God has forgiven me for all my wrong doings and I should do the same. Don't leave this world with unforgiveness for it only breeds bitterness and remember your dash is coming.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment