Wednesday, April 1, 2009

That's When it Happened

I read where “Attitude is everything” if that is true then our attitudes are very important. Then I read where a man by the name of William James said over a century ago “The greatest discovery of this generation is that a human being can alter their life by altering their attitude.” Then I began to think, my attitude impacts my happiness, my family, my friends and those I work around. I experience how true that is just this past weekend. My nine year old grandson called and asked if he could spend the night with me, I said I would be glad for him too. All was going well except I was allowing too much pressure to build up as I was trying to get to much accomplished in a short time. My attitude changed and before I knew it I did something that I never would have done, had I not allowed all the pressure to build up. He asked me what we were going to have for supper. My wife, daughter, mother and granddaughters were all gone for the weekend and it was just me and him. I said what about a ham sandwich? He said that would be fine! So I went and made it and I put mustard on it, I had no idea that he didn’t like mustard. So he informed me that he could not eat it because of the mustard. So I got the last two pieces of bread and put the ham on another sandwich which looks fine to me. He returned and told me it also had some mustard on it. That’s when it happened, I took the sandwich and threw it in the garbage and told him there was no more bread. Then he said”it’s ok just settle down I’ll eat something else.” I can’t tell you how sorry I was for the way I had acted, he at nine years old acted the right way. I later asked him to forgive me for the way I had acted. He said sure we all have tuff times. I know he was not trying to rub it in but I felt bad for the way I acted and at the same time I was proud of the way he handled it. Then I am reminded of what the Apostle Paul said in Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Romans 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Romans 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
That’s what happened to me, that which I didn’t want to do, that’s what I found myself doing. So once again I learned that my Attitude is everything and it impacted my grandson in a wrong way. One day as he is remembering the impact I had in his life, I sure hope this past weekend doesn’t return to his mind. Be careful not to let the pressure of this week give you a bad attitude for it will impact someone for good or bad. I am going to shoot for a GOOD ATTITUDE! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment