Monday, April 20, 2009

Unstoppable


As the years sneak up on us I hear many talk of retirement. Retirement is when you say good bye to a company or career and you quit getting up early to make that long drive to a place you spent the last 35-40 years. Many find it so in their service for the Lord. I've heard such things as "I've served my time. I've done my part. Let the younger crowd do it." Have they not read Psalm 92?

Psalm 92:12 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.

Psalm 92:13
Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God.
Psalm 92:14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;
Did you read those words flourish, (expand, enlarge) grow (increase) When are we not to enlarge and increase? I have been serving the Lord for 36 years and in those years I have expanded and increased and yes I will be the first to tell you that I can't do what I once could. But I love verse 14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age. I don't look at myself as being old but I must say I am older than I once was. But I refuse to think or believe that I am useless and fruitless. There was a day when I could run with the youth of the Church and be out front. But one day I felt them breathing down the back of my neck and I realized that I was becoming slower. But I didn't quit for my work was not done. I remember the days I played on the softball team. I was the third baseman and can remember the close plays as well as close calls. I also remember the day I tried to play third base with bifocals on: I'll just say that wasn't a good move on my part. But I didn't quit for my work was still not finished. Miss all those days sure, but as I read those encouraging words "SHALL BRING FORTH IN OLD AGE" I can't help but be excited. Like the Energizer rabbit drumsticks in hand, big sun glasses on as he moves seemingly unstoppable because he's powered by the Energizer batteries. You may want or even enjoy playing shuffleboard or watching T.V. But to be honest with you I still want to be used by the Lord to make a difference in the lives of others. It is God's will that I bear fruit in my older years; that's to say fresh and productive, not stale and on the sidelines. You may retire from a career or from a company or even an occupation, but you can't retire from the service of Jesus Christ! My body may slow down; my health may not be what it once was. But I still have much to give. He's still got young people He wants me to encourage, battles for me to fight and other people's burdens for me to carry. So how can I quit? I'm not looking for that opportunity and for whatever time I have left I want to be like the Energizer Bunny "going and going and going until He decides my work is finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment