Tuesday, April 13, 2010

As we Forgive

As I said on yesterday that I would like to talk about forgive us….. as we forgive… and what is this prayer implying? Is this prayer implying that if we forgive our enemies God forgives us? And if we don't then God doesn't forgive us? We don't obtain forgiveness by forgiving others if that were so we would need no savior. That would be salvation by effort; but salvation is a free gift

Ephesian 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

So if we are forgiven then why are we taught to forgive our debts? What if one of your children broke one of the rules that you as parents had set up; what would you expect or do? Would we disown them, ask them to leave the house or even ask them to change their last name? Of course not; but you would expect them to be honest and apologize and until they did the relationship between you and them would suffer. You see confession doesn't create a relationship with God, it nourishes it. If you and I admit we've done wrong it nourishes, which means (to promote the growth of)

1John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
When we confess we quit arguing with God and agree with Him about our sin. If we don't, then unconfessed sin leads to a state of disagreement. We may be God's child and not really want to talk with Him. He still loves us, but until we admit what we have done, there is going to be tension.

Psalms 32:1
Blessed is he whose transgression (disobedience) is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

Psalms 32:2
Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth (compute) not iniquity, (sin) and in whose spirit there is no guile. (deceit)

Psalms 32:3
When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

Psalms 32:4
For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. (Pause)...think about that!


Psalms 32:5
I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. (Pause) think about that!
David was saying that when he kept silence and you (Lord) were heavy upon him so that there was no moisture and it turned into the drought. In other words no growth and there was no relationship. But when he acknowledged his sin unto the Lord that the Lord forgave and growth and relationship were renewed.

What are we really saying when we say "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors" is it not give me what I give them. Lord, grant me the same peace that I grant others. Let me enjoy the same tolerance that I offer others. God, will you treat me like I am treating others. Are we Contagious in our joy or are we Cranky in our faith. Are we Grateful or are we Grumpy. See you can be in the family of God on your way to heaven but what are you seeing The Rainbow or just the Rain?

I am reminded of the wife and husband who had a heated discussion one night before they went to bed. Neither slept well that night and as the sun arose in the east that morning the husband went to his wife and said he was sorry and asked for her forgiveness. She was still angry with him and thought to herself, "I'll make him suffer" and refused to forgive him. As he left the house that morning on his way to work he told her once again he was sorry and that he loved her; she spoke not a word. As he drove to work that morning he ran a stop sign and was hit by an oncoming car and was killed instantly. The wife who loved her husband kept saying over and over at the funeral home "my dear sweet husband whom I loved with all my heart is gone and he died without knowing he was forgiven." Is that grudge that you are holding on to really that important? How much suffering will satisfy you? I wonder if that wife could live that morning over again do you think she would have handled it different. I am sure she would have but we just don't ever know what a day may bring forth.

Proverbs 27:1
Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
Unless you are a member of the Mafia don't act like you are, ask for forgiveness and give the gift of forgiveness. You'll sleep better and you will have the joy of the Lord flowing out of your life.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment