Thursday, April 29, 2010

Making a Claim

James W. Marshall, discovered gold at Sutter's creek in 1848 which started the gold rush of 1849. Thirty two years later in 1880 in an abandoned gold mining shaft the body of a gold miner was found; it was James W. Marshall the one who started the gold rush which led to the fortunes of many. He died penniless because he had never taken time to stake his own claim. What was he thinking you might ask, who knows! Maybe he was thinking he just didn't have time right then and he would do it later. Maybe he thought he had plenty of time or maybe the time just flew by so quickly; it does you know. Whatever the reason he died without having what he could have had. When I think about James Marshall I am reminded of just how fast time flies by. I'll spend time with my kids later or I'll get involved or take them later and before you know it they are grown. I have asked myself, did I get so involved with other things that I let the most important slip by? Was I all I could have been for my children? How did my actions affect their life? If I had it to do over would I do the same? Those are questions that I will never be able to answer and I will not have another chance to do it over. What about eternity? Will we die without making a spiritual claim? We may know about Jesus but do we know Jesus. You see I know about George Washington but I don't know George Washington. I know about George Bush but I don't know George Bush. I am glad for a man named Ken who one night in back of a 40 foot trailer at Old Dominion Freight Lines in Conley, GA who took the time to tell me about Jesus. I didn't ask the Lord to come into my heart that night but I did make Ken the promise that I would be in Church on Sunday Morning. That Sunday I went to Church as I had promised Ken and that Sunday I asked the Lord to come into my heart and forgive me of my sins; and the Lord did just that. That has been 37 years ago this month and I can honestly say I know who Jesus is and when this life is over I have made my claim and I can say with the Apostle Paul

2Corinthians 5:1
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Corinthians 5:6
Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

2Timothy 1:12
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
I hope you can say the same thing if not don't be like James Marshall and die without a claim, you will be eternally regretful.

No comments:

Post a Comment