Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Protection

The next to the last phrase in the prayer we call the Lord's Prayer is a petition for protection from the enemy.

Matthew 6:13…… but deliver us from evil: We have come to our Lord and identified Him as our Father.

The provision for today
Matthew 6:11
Give us this day our daily bread.

The pardon for yesterday Matthew 6:12
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

The protection for today Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:

When I think about evil I can't help but think about the devil for all we have to do is add the letter "D". When God pulled the curtains back on the devil what is the first thing we see?

Isaiah 14:12
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Isaiah 14:13
For thou hast said in thine heart, I
will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. He is still self-centered which is no more than pride. Webster tells us what pride is. Pride
Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others. Pride; it's the devils disease and we all have it even the meekest of us for we have a tendency to think too highly of ourselves. Yes, all was headed south until my team and I arrived and with my leadership and know how we turned that business back to where it was very profitable again. Oh yes we are the MPV, ____ of the month, _____ of the year on and on and if we are not careful it can become fuel for our pride. I'm not saying we shouldn't be those things but if those things become all we talk about and strive for then they can become very prideful. People say to me from time to time "that's a beautiful tie" I would say things like "thank you" or "I have good taste don't I." Until one day the Lord spoke to me and I realized that every time someone would tell me that it was always a tie my wife had picked out; never, not one time was it a tie I had picked out. So I came to two conclusions first my taste sinks and second I was being prideful of something my wife was doing for me. I have changed the way I respond, I now say "my wife has good taste and I'm glad the Lord has given her to me." Someone says to me 'thank you so much for you have really helped me.' My response is oh no the Lord only used me He's the one who has helped you; and He has, not I. One of our major problems is pride and God hates it, read this and see what you think. Proverbs 6:16
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: Out of seven things the Lord hates what do you think is first? A lying tongue, Killing innocent people, wicked minds, dishonesty, those who spread conflict among their relatives, Pride? Proverbs 6:17
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, #1 is pride could that be why we are asked to pray "deliver us from evil?"

No comments:

Post a Comment