Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Making a Difference

I don't think anyone wants to go through life and not make a difference. If we do what comes naturally we'll live the kind of life a lot of people do; self focused, self centered, self serving and you end up with only a life that as big as you are. A young man waited six months after writing Mother Teresa with this question "how can I make my life count as you have?" When the letter came it was only a post card with four words that read "fine your own Calcutta." Your life may be full but not fulfilling. I have always led a busy life; maybe too busy at times. But a little over five years ago I got involved with helping those with addictions and God has placed me right in the middle and I love it. I know the Lord has used me to encourage others. But far greater they have helped me more and encourage me more than I have ever encouraged them. God has broadened my heart and placed a vision in my heart that one day soon there will be a place that these men and women can come for help. I received a phone call on March 29 at 2:42 am a young man was in some kind of distress and needed help. He had gotten my phone number out of a case of beer; yes you read it right. If you are going to be a help you have to their attention, but here was a man who for whatever reason kept that card and called me. The only problem was I had no place to take him. But as we move into the near future that will all change the Scarlet Thread Ministries was born on February 12 of this year and is in the process of working in that direction with other Churches and individuals helping and it will soon become a reality. Jesus gave us a perfect example in Luke 10 it's a classic story of the Good Samaritan.


Luke 10:30
And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
A man went down from a Major city to a small town and fell in with the wrong crowd and got involved with alcohol and drugs and lost it all leaving him half dead.


Luke 10:31
And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

Luke 10:32
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
By chance there came some good upstanding and religious people by and looked on him and just left him there for they thought what could I do? I really don't have time to get myself involved and anyway he should have known better. What is this I see a man who has much to get done and little time to do it and he sees this man in trouble what do you think he'll do? Let's see

Luke 10:33
But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Do what? Had compassion on him: why does he know this man? No, he doesn't but how could he pass him by? What does he do? Luke 10:34
And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

Luke 10:35
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

He washes his wounds, takes care of him the best he can, puts him on his donkey and takes him to an inn. He then sits up with him and takes care of him. As he had to go on his journey the next day he paid their bill and told the inn keeper whatever you spend on him I will repay you on my return visit.

So which of these three men made a real difference in someone else's life? You know what, he didn't get a thank you. Compassion doesn't require a thank you! Like it was said about the Lone Ranger "who was that masked man." Do something today that will make a difference in someone's life without a thank you.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment