Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Big Cruise

A couple years ago my wife and I went on a cruise with some good friends from our Church. We had a great time to say the least. While we were out to sea one of our friends told me of an elderly couple he had met and they told him that this is where they live. They get off one cruise ship on to another they said it was as cheap and much better than a nursing home……Assisted Living….. I mean Retirement home. Could this be true? Oh yes it is; this is what I read. A lady by the name of Bea Muller has been a permanent resident since January, 2000 on Cunard cruise line's Queen Elizabeth 2. Mrs. Muller said, "I've got full-time maid service, great dining rooms, doctors, a medical center (where she volunteers), a spa, beauty salon, computer center, entertainment, cultural activities and, best of all she said dancing and bridge." That sounds awful good to me except for the dancing and bridge. Well that got me to thinking! It's for sure this life is too short and one day Mrs. Muller's cruise will be over and then what? I may never live on a cruise ship with fine dining and all the other things she talked about but those are not my life goals. Jesus as He spent the last night with His disciples He told them these words. John 14:1
Let not your heart
(don't let the whole man) be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. John 14:2
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Jesus knew that His disciples would have many a tuff day, days they didn't understand, days they seemed confused, even days with no direction. But He wanted to leave them with a promise, I know you will be troubled but believe and put your trust in me. Because I'm going home to my Father's house, to prepare a place for you and I'm coming back for you. One day you and I will take our last breath here and as far as this land we will be just a memory. Good memories I am sure in the minds of those who knew us and loved us but none the less a memory. You may be thinking of that cruise ship retirement, but that too will be gone. But I have my eyes on something far better; how does this sound? Revelation 21:18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

Revelation 21:19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

2Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. We will have no need of Doctors, fine dining, spa, beauty salon, computer center or any cultural activities. This sounds like a much better plan to me! Too many people are living their lives with only this life in view. We were born, live and die. But this life is not the end of the story. Our Bible certainly makes it clear that there is life after death and that there is a real heaven and a real hell. Everyone ends up somewhere! And, like Mrs. Muller, we have the choice to opt for the best of all accommodations: Heaven a choice of faith to believe in Jesus. I am booked for that fantastic journey. Make sure you are too for if not you'll miss the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment