Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Deliverance

Deliverance what does it mean? Webster says that it means Release from captivity slavery, oppression, or any restraint. Among the blessings which we connect with faith and the most clearly seen is deliverance. The Bible records many deliverances, Abraham was delivered from idolatry. Joseph was delivered from his brethren. David from Goliath, Peter from the prison in Jerusalem and the most notable of all was the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt by the mighty hand of God with the blood on the doorpost. Men and women trusting God and seeing deliverance we can read all about deliverance in Hebrews chapter 11. Just trusting God and walking out of the restraints and the captivity of slavery; man that must have been wonderful. But as I read on in Hebrews chapter 11 I see other deliverances that weren't so glamorous. Look at Hebrews 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: (that was wonderful no doubt but) and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

Hebrews 11:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

Hebrews 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

I read when a man was charged with being a Christian, deliverance was always at hand. All a Christian would have to do to be delivered was to blaspheme the name of Christ. A word of cursing or when the Roman centurion scratched the name of Christ on the wall; just spit on it and you are delivered from sure death. But you know these people of faith thought it was better to be faithful than free, so they were tortured, not accepting deliverance. Wonderful but how does that help us today? Back in 1974 I met a man who at one point was doing great; he had plenty of money beauty home and fine cars. Then someone told him about the Lord and how he could go to heaven and be forgiven of all his sins. Know what he did? He bowed his head and asked the Lord to forgive him; know what? The Lord did! When I met him he was losing his house; not his home just his house. He had his cars up for sale, not his family and I don't know about his bank account. But I do know about his smiling face and his words as he said this is the greatest thing that has ever happen to me. The business that had given him all his fortune; well he closed it. He decided that he wasn't going to miss the best by choosing the easier so he closed his night club. I am sure we have all been there at one time or another. When I make a sale sometimes it would be easier to get more than the sale is worth. I see fancy cars, big house, swimming pool, fine clothes. I can say they will never know the difference so why not charge them a little more; remember the last job you missed a few things and you didn't make very much. They can afford it and they will never know any different. But I know so I must refuse to do that. In so doing I deliver myself from slavery and oppression, I chose it was better to be faithful than having a few more dollars in my pocket, not to mention a good night sleep. You and I may never have to stand before those who would have us blaspheme for our freedom. But you know if we did and we decided to blaspheme how would we know they would set us free anyways? I trust Him, He have proven Himself….they hadn't!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment