Monday, June 29, 2009

Contentment

This month of June our Pastor spent each Sunday morning in a series he named "Following Him As A Man." I must say he covered some deep ground and yes he even spent one Sunday morning dealing with sex. But on yesterday he preached form I Timothy chapter 6 verses 11&12 on "O man of God." He was not preaching to preachers but to men as he preached on Flee, Follow, and Fight. As he preached he said some things that the Lord spoke to me about or should I say reminded me. In verse 7 these words are said "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." Each and every one of us were born with nothing and it matters not how much we gain in this life we will carry none of it out with us. I think many times if I could only have this or that I would be happy; but you know happiness in not found in things or how many things we have. Then he talked about riches and he said this "we in America are rich." We are, if you don't think so then get on a plane and go to a third world country and get outside all the tourist attractions and you will see. I have been there and seen it and yes it's true. I remember one night in Nicaragua in a meeting with about 1500 people, they had nothing we gave out tracts and not one did I see on the ground. They started a movie called the "Burning Hell" which was a movie I saw in the 70's; it is now 1993 the bulb went out in the projector and they sat and listen to just the sound and no one complained. They know what it is to have nothing! As I listen and as the Lord spoke to my heart I was reminded once again, that I am rich in Christ Jesus! The temptations that we all face will be like a snare to us and will drown us in destruction. So what did the Lord say to me? Very simple; "Godliness with contentment is great gain." Be happy and content with what I have! I have a wonderful family, A loving and great wife, a home to sleep in, friends to enjoy, a Great Church to be a part of, good health, a job God has placed me in, where I get to see God work in the lives of those others have given up on. I get to watch God change the unchangeable and give life back to those who for the most part have thrown it all out the window for drugs, alcohol, sex and a host of other things. I am about to shout now for He has been so good to me and my family and one day when I am finished here on this earth He will call me home; I am now going down the back side of the mountain; I don't have much here but my treasures are in heaven. Matthew 6:19
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Matthew 6:20
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
One last thought our Pastor told of a lady who died and left a large sum of money to four Churches ( ours being one). Then I had this thought "you can, take it with you and have interest too by leaving it here to work for the Lord." Hebrews 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Here was a lady I have never seen or had the privilege of knowing yet God used her to speak to my heart months after her death. What a great God we serve! Be content with what you have and share it with others! One day after you're gone you too will get to speak to others.


 


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment