Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Big Fish

I was trout fishing in the North Georgia Mountains some years ago when I stopped by one of those Mom & Pop owned stores. I stopped to get some hooks or something, but I saw something in there that I have never forgotten. It was a postcard of a huge Rainbow trout on the back of a flat bed truck and this is what it said "I caught a trout so big I had to call my friend John to haul it home for me." Now I have never caught a trout or have known anyone to catch one that size. I may have stretched the size a little bit to make the story more interesting…….NO! I mean embellished the size. Well, for whatever reason or words I used it was more than likely my pride wanting to shine. In the book of Jonah we read about the biggest fish story ever. I mean it's a big fish story; so big was this fish that it swallowed a grown man. Jonah 1:17
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
I have no problem believing that God could prepare a fish big enough to swallow up Jonah, but I want to look at those three day and nights. I am well aware of the picture that is painted here about the Resurrection of our Lord but look with me in Jonah 2:7
When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
Was Jonah saying? Hey as my life was slipping away, I remembered the Lord and I prayed. Do what? What in the world were you thinking and doing before then, Jonah! Shining your shoes so you might look sharp! I am going to be honest with you I have never been swallowed by anything but I believe before I was even swallowed I would be praying! I sure wouldn't be setting up house, this isn't a vacation! How long does one have to be fish food before seeking a little help? Here is what happened as Jonah's pride kicked in. You see Pride screams, "I can do it myself." "I don't need anyone's help," or "I got myself into this mess, I'll get myself out." Why is it that instead of immediately turning to God when things get messy we turn to our spouse, neighbors, co-workers, counselors, or other things. Can we not put trust in the God of the Universe who knows us, loves us and is willing and wanting to help us? No! And I speak for myself we must not let others know we are weak or don't know what to do. What will others think…that's pride showing up in mine and your lives. Have we not read the scriptures? Proverbs11:2
When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
Sharing our burdens and concerns with those who love us and know us is important but we should never make God our last resort. Peter put it this way 1Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Once Jonah returned his thoughts to God, his prayer was answered. Jonah 2:10
And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
Are you confused and don't know what to do? Are you starting to smell like 3-day old fish food? Here are three things you can do

#1-
Cast all your care upon the Lord Jesus Christ.

#2 - Confess up 1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

#3- Be an Over comer Revelation 12:11
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
You may ask who is the pronoun "him" referring to? Check it out Revelation 12:9
And you will overcome him the same way!


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment