Friday, June 19, 2009

Goals

Goals are made all the time some I have accomplished and others I have not. Webster says a goal is the end or final purpose; the end to which a design tends, or which a person aims to reach or accomplish. So what are my aims what am I trying to reach or accomplish? What are yours? When in college I had a teacher whose name was Jim Smith. I took every class he taught and the day came when he became the song leader at the Church where I was a member. This was a great day to say the least! As I got to know him better I notice that every time he signed his name he put a Bible verse. So one day I asked him why he did that! This is what he said "that's my life verse, I sign my name and I always put that verse. I told myself I need me a life verse! So I asked myself what I wanted most out of life! I thought on this for a while and asked myself many questions. This was something important not just something I would do I wanted it to mean something, how I really felt. Solomon when asked by the Lord what he wanted this is what he said.1Ki 3:5 In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.

1Ki 3:7 And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

1Ki 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

Not great riches not ever great health but an understanding heart! So here the Lord brings Jim Smith into my life, a man I had great respect for. I had a great desire to know God's word; you see when God found me I could not quote one Bible verse. I can remember when in the military I saw the words John 3:16 and asked my friend what was that? He said it's a Bible verse don't you know that! No I didn't! I was 20 years old at the time. So what would be my life verse? What did I desire? Then I read it and without doubt this was it and now over 30 years later when I sign my name I add this verse. Before I tell you what it is let me share something else with you. You may have a goal today and goals are not easy to reach it takes work and a desire. As we work toward our goals opportunities will come, but along with opportunities will also come doubts, others will tell you it's not possible, you will want to quit. The first thing I did was write that verse down and began to put in my head and then when it was in my head I moved it to my heart. I read it every day until I knew it. Why you might ask? Because the day would come when someone would ask me what is this and I needed to be able to tell them without hesitation. So what was and still is my greatest desire? Simple 2 Timothy 2:15- Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. You can have all the goals you want but remember a goal, not in writing, is simply a wish. So how many goals did you say you had?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment